Internships Available at the Greater DC-Maryland Chapter
- Special Events Intern
- Social Media and Public Relations Intern
See descriptions below.
Special Events Intern
The Special Events Intern works directly with the Chapter’s Development staff to assist the Event Team in planning, developing and promoting events. This internship will provide excellent experience in executing non-profit events from start to finish.
- Support Chapter’s annual Walk MS, Bike MS, Challenge Walk MS, Golf MS, Finish MS and Women on the Move events
- Contact vendors as needed to move event logistics forward
- Work with local media outlets to promote events
- Research future marketing avenues, promotional items and event-related supplies
- Organize supplies for day-of event preparation
- Assist events team with in office mailings
- Maintain positive vendor and sponsor relationships
- Assist with wrap-up including thank you letters and follow-up mailings to volunteers and sponsors for each event
- Presence at some events required
- Assist in development of, and mailing of Team MS recruitment materials & handbooks
- Maintain basic knowledge of all events to answer incoming calls from participants
- Assist in the procurement of in-kind donations for all events
- Make recruitment calls to team captains & participants to register them, as needed
- Assist with development of team recruitment events
- Learn and utilize Society software
- Maintain a good working relationship with others
- Maintain a basic knowledge of MS and the goals of the Greater DC-Maryland Chapter
- Perform all other duties as needed or assigned
- Detail oriented
- Strong team player with the ability to work well with others
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable making phone calls and speaking with event participants
Time Commitment and Compensation:
A minimum of 10 to 20 hours a week unpaid internship with college credits available for the Summer, Fall & Spring semester. The Summer internship will run from May until August, the Fall from August to January and the Spring from January to May. Intern will be responsible for providing own transportation to and from the Chapter’s office in Washington, D.C. or Timonium, MD.
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter to Katie Boothroyd.
Social Media and Public Relations Intern
The Social Media and Public Relations Intern works directly with the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications to create a plan to engage members through our social media channels, public relations efforts and special event promotion.
- Develop strategies to increase engagement with followers on various social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
- Develop a plan and schedule for social media postings
- Monitor and track analytics of social media pages and advertisements
- Gather relevant articles to be posted on social media
- Research and identify event participants for utilization in PR efforts
- Research and identify relevant interest groups through a variety of online channels to spread awareness of special events
- Assist with writing articles for the Chapter newsletter
- Update and maintain the media contact list
- Input special event information into online event calendar listings and find new outlets to post the information
- Work with Chapter staff to collaboratively gather and share information
- Attend some fundraising events
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong team player with the ability to work with others
- Creative thinking
- Knowledge of social media best practices
- Interest in social media, public relations, writing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Time Commitment and Compensation:
A minimum 10 to 20 hours a week unpaid internship with college credit available for the Summer, Fall & Spring semester. The Summer internship will run from May until August, the Fall from August to January, and the Spring from January to May.The intern will be responsible for providing his or her own transportation to and from the Chapter’s office in Washington, D.C.
Interested applicants should send their resume to Katie Boothroyd.