Build connections, and make them count
First, learn how to find and connect with your public officials and other MS activists in social media. Then get talking! Make sure your messages are heard using hashtags:
- Use #MSactivist in ALL messages in Facebook and all other social media (not just Twitter).
- Use one or two additional hashtags based on importance – see below.
- If it’s important that your followers or officials know where you’re from, use your two-letter state abbreviation as a hashtag, such as #CA, #NE, #TX or #DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia).
Register and join your State Action Day
and use social media to engage your legislators:
- #[insert your state’s two-letter abbreviation, e.g. #CA] #MS State Action Day is today! I'm an #MSactivist [include photo] them.
- @[insert legislator handle] I and other #MSactivist are looking forward to meeting today to discuss #MS priorities. Thank you!
- Thank you @[insert legislator handle] for meeting me and other #MSactivist today to discuss #MS priorities.
- Friends, please support me at #[insert your state’s two-letter abbreviation, e.g. #NY] #MS State Action Day by email [insert link]
Federal - complex rehabilitation technology
MS activists are asking Congress to cosponsor and pass a bill that will streamline access to Complex Rehabilitation Technology so that people with progressed MS can have their medical needs met and remain independent.
- Hashtags: #complexrehab and #access2CRT or #HR1516 or #S1013 (bill numbers in the House and Senate)
If your member(s) of Congress hasn't sponsored the complex rehab bill yet:
- .@representative @senator please support #HR1516 #S1013 which provides #complexrehab technology to #Medicare recipients. I’m an #MSactivist #access2CRT
If your member of Congress has already sponsored the complex rehab bill, thank him/her:
- .@representative, thank you for signing #complexrehab #HR1516 led by @RepJoeCrowley & @JimPressOffice #MSactivist
- .@senator, thank you for signing #complexrehab #S1013 led by @SenThadCochran & @SenSchumer #MSactivist
- .@representative, thank you for cosponsoring #complexrehab in the US House! #access2CRT is important to me as an #MSactivist
- .@senator, thank you for cosponsoring #complexrehab in the US Senate! #access2CRT is important to me as an #MSactivist
Federal - Neurological data & 21st Century Cures
MS activists are building support for the Advancing Research for Neurological Diseases Act (H.R. 292/S. 849)
or "neuro data bill" which will create a nationwide system to track the incidence and prevalence of neurological diseases, including MS
, and help us get to a cure. This bill has been included in the 21st Century Cures Act (H.R. 6), which the U.S. House of Representatives passed with an impressive 344-77 vote on July 10.
To get your followers and friends to ask for support, and add cosponsors to the underlying neurodata bill.:
- Please join me as an #MSactivist - ask Congress ensure accelerating MS research is a priority at http://ntl.ms/1AiYecf
- HR 292 and S 849 #neurodata bills help MS researchers better understand MS and other neurological diseases. #MSactivist
If your member(s) of Congress have already cosponsored H.R. 292 or S. 849, thank them:
Federal - MS research funding
MS activists urge Congress to support federal MS research funding through the National Institutes of Health and the MS Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program.
- Hashtags: #MSresearch and #NIH / @NIH or #CDMRP / @CDMRP
- .@publicofficial please support $10 mil for the MS @CDMRP in FY 2016 #MSresearch
- .@publicofficial please support $32 bil for the @NIH in FY 2016 #MSresearch
If your member of Congress signed onto the MS research funding letters, thank him/her:
- Thank you to @publicofficial for supporting #MSresearch through the MS @CDMRP
- Thank you to @publicofficial for supporting #MSresearch through the MS @NIH