One-on-one peer connections
MS affects everyone differently- that’s why it is important to have someone you can count on to support you in the way that you need.
Through the Peer Connections program you can search for and connect with a peer support volunteer who has “been there” and can provide you with helpful tips, suggestions and emotional support for the challenges that MS throws at you. You can connect with your peer via one-on-one ongoing telephone or email conversations. Peer Connections volunteers have been through a rigorous screening and training process.
What are the benefits of a Peer Connections relationship?
Pick your own peer from a list of trained peer support volunteers from many different walks of life, including family members of those living with MS.
Connect with your peer via email, telephone or the online community.
Have confidential conversations with the same person about the topics most relevant to your life.
You can connect to a peer of your choice right now. Search for a peer on our online community by clicking here. If you prefer to communicate via email or telephone, just let your peer know once you are connected.
For additional assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MS knows no timetable – this is why we offer support when you want and need it.
The MSFriends® program connects you with volunteers living with MS. The common bond of living with MS creates a unique connection. MSFriends volunteers complete a rigorous screening and training program and are focused on the needs of those who call for support.
What are the benefits of an MSFriends peer relationship?
- Having someone who knows first-hand what it is like to live with MS to talk with and share your story. MSFriends is there to help you deal with the changes brought about by MS.
- Having a sounding board for good decision-making and problem solving.
- MSFriends is just a telephone call away ― ready to help you.
- MSFriends has a call-back service for family members of those living with MS. Leave a message with the volunteer who answers and a trained volunteer who also has a family member with MS will call you back to provide support.
Connect today by calling the MSFriends helpline at 1-866-673-7436. It's available 9AM to midnight EST, seven days a week, and is answered by volunteers with MS. All of your conversations are confidential.
Interested in becoming a peer support volunteer?
Please let us know if you are interested in volunteering as a peer support volunteer. The qualifications to be a peer support volunteer include:
- Personal relationship to MS (person with MS, partner or family member of a person with MS).
- Strong listening and communication skills; empathetic listener.
- Knowledge of and access to Internet/e-mail technologies and equipment.
- Dedication to the mission of the National MS Society and a desire to make a difference for those living with MS.
If you are interested in learning more, please contact us at email@example.com.
National MS Society Peer to Peer Connection Programs are made possible through educational grants from Genentech, Bayer Healthcare and Sanofi Genzyme.