It’s never too early to begin planning financially for the future – evaluating your income, assets, debts, benefits, and other resources is essential to being well-prepared for a future with MS.
Financial Education Partners Program
The Financial Education Partners (FEP) program was established in 2006 by the Foundation for Financial Service Professionals. It provides pro bono financial planning and education to individuals with special health or financial circumstances.
What might be addressed during a planning session?
- Savings vehicles — pros and cons of various instruments
- Insurance analysis
- Employee benefits analysis — retirement planning, medical plans, disability coverage and life insurance
- Retirement planning — analysis of adequacy and tax effectiveness
- Estate planning — strategies to maximize inheritances/minimize taxes
- Legal planning — wills, special needs trusts, living trusts, etc.
Participants in the FEP program will receive reliable financial counseling, provided by a professional who adheres to the Society of Financial Service Professional’s Code of Professional Responsibility.
For more information please contact an MS Navigator® by calling 1-800-344-4867 or via email.
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Provides referrals to elder law and special needs planning attorneys
- Offers a wealth of information to consumers regarding elder law
National Elder Law Foundation (NELF)
- Provides referrals for Certified Elder Law Attorneys
National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC)
- Provides referrals to certified consumer credit counselors
- Offers information & counseling to consumers regarding such topics as credit, home buying, bankruptcy, etc.
National Association of Estate Planners & Councils
- Provides referrals to estate planning professionals
Adapting: Financial Planning for a Life with Multiple Sclerosis
This 72-page financial planning guide provides information and strategies to help families plan wisely for the future and meet financial challenges that often accompany life with MS. Topics addressed include:
financial organization and planning
This financial planning guide is a collaborative project of the National Endowment for Financial Education, the National MS Society, and Paralyzed Veterans of America. *This guide was published prior to the enactment of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).