The Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010 requires tax credits that make coverage more affordable and prohibits insurers from refusing to cover or charge more if someone has a pre-existing condition – including MS. Read about the Society’s healthcare reform principles
and current advocacy issues
The Health Insurance Marketplace, which may be referred to as the Exchange in some states, allows individuals and families to compare available health plan options, submit an application for health insurance and cost help, and enroll in their chosen health plan.
You can get help reviewing options and next steps
- Everything you read about your options and costs will be in plain language.
- Details about price, benefits, quality and other features are presented to help you select the plan that best meets your needs.
- Every health insurance plan in the Marketplace offers comprehensive coverage, including hospitalization, doctors’ visits, prescriptions and more.
through the toll-free 24/7 help line: 800-318-2596 (TTY: 855-889-4325). There is also an online chat service, as well as specially trained Navigators
who offer unbiased information, education and enrollment assistance to consumers at no cost. If you experience difficulty accessing this toll-free help line, try one of the local help providers
in your state or community.
You must re-enroll every year.
Every fall, your health insurance company will notify you of changes to premiums and benefits for the coming year.
- You can choose to stay in your current plan as long as it is still offered, or switch to another one that is a better fit for your needs and finances.
- You can begin comparing your options on November 15th but you only have until February 15th to enroll in a different plan.
If you want to stay enrolled in your current plan, use the plan ID in the letter you get from your health insurer to quickly access your Marketplace account – which you will need to update or confirm your personal information.
Medicaid and CHIP enrollees must re-certify for continued coverage every year.
Each state has its own process for recertifying enrollees in these programs. Watch for notices from your Medicaid or CHIP plan and follow the procedures carefully.
Call 800-318-2596 for help re-enrolling in Marketplace, Medicaid or CHIP health coverage.