Glossary of Terms Related to ADEM
Autoimmune condition or disorder
- A process in which the body’s own immune system causes illness by mistakenly attacking healthy cells, organs, or tissue in the body.
- A disease that damages the myelin (insulation around nerve cells) in the central nervous system.
- Another term for ADEM.
- A complex network of glands, tissues, circulating cells, and processes that protect the body by identifiying abnormal or foreign substances and neutralizing them.
- A soft, white coating around nerve fibers, which is composed of lipids (fats) and proteins. Myelin serves as insulation and as an aid to efficient message transmission along the nerve fibers. When myelin is damaged, nerve fiber conduction is faulty or absent, resulting in various types of symptoms.
- Inflammation or demyelination of the optic (visual) nerve with temporary or permanent impairment of vision and occasionally pain.
- Another term for ADEM
- The part of the brain and spinal cord that contains the nerve fibers that are wrapped in myelin. This part of the brain appears white, incontrast to the cortex of the brain that contains nerve cell bodies and appears gray.