MS Action Alert Network
The MS Action Network is the center for advocacy at the National MS Society. We represent the interests of people with MS as important policy decisions are made in both the public and private sectors. Our advocacy is focused on: federal funding for MS research; quality health care; long-term care; disability rights; and health insurance and prescription drug coverage. The MS Action Network works on these important issues at the federal, state and local levels.
Join the National MS Society’s MS Action Network. It’s a simple way to influence the governmental process. People with MS and their friends and relatives comprise this grassroots lobbying network, including more than 350 of your neighbors in Northern California.
Multiple Sclerosis California Action Network (MS-CAN)
Our MS Action Network and the Government Relations Committee work in concert with MS-CAN, the Multiple Sclerosis California Action Network (MS-CAN). MS-CAN is the state advocacy arm of the 3 California chapters of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. The mission of MS-CAN is to improve the quality of life for people with multiple sclerosis through public policy development and reform. MS-CAN and its network of chapters educate decision makers in the state and work with them to advance sound public policies that have a positive impact on individuals with multiple sclerosis.
The California chapters of MS-CAN include:
- Northern California Chapter
- Pacific South Coast Chapter
- Southern California & Nevada Chapter
Priority issues for 2011 include:
- Assured availability and affordability of public and private sector health insurance plans for all needed MS treatments and therapies;
- Increased access to affordable and community-based long-term care options for the 20-25% of individuals with MS who need long-term care at some point during their illness;
- Access to adequate, consistent and affordable drug coverage, and guaranteed access to all medically necessary prescription drugs, including reasonable cost-sharing for all MS drug modifying therapies;
- Continued enforcement of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to guarantee full and equal access to public and private services and employment for disabled Americans.
Members of the MS Action Network engage in letter-writing and telephone campaigns, as well as face-to-face meetings with state, local and federal officials. Their grassroots efforts are essential to guarding the rights of people with MS. The commitment of members nationwide makes the National MS Society one of America’s most respected voices on healthcare issues. Remember that you are a constituent and a voter. Every voice counts!
For more information you can contact Stewart Ferry via email or at 1-800-344-4867, (415) 230-6678.
You can stay up to date on federal MS legislative and regulatory issues on the new “I’m an MS activist” blog.
Go ahead and share with others. Send to your MS activists, post a link on your Web site, or include in your e-mail signature.
Daily updates include news and action items, such as recent testimony on Capitol Hill, legislative happenings, and events with MS activists. Check it out today.