2013 Employment Teleconference Series:
Career Decisions and MS
We are pleased to present a series of teleconferences on a variety of topics regarding Employment and MS. The series is made up of six teleconferences held on Wednesdays from January through March, 2013.
Each teleconference is accessible via a toll-free number. Participate in several calls or just the one that interests you. You will need to register individually for each call you wish to attend. All calls will take place from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST.
After the calls have taken place, audio recordings will be posted on this page.
Topics and Dates:
- January 16 - Should I Work from Home or Start My Own Business?
- January 30 - Is it Time? Deciding to Change Careers or Stop Working
- February 13 - Deciding How to Plan Your Job Search. Employers Share How They Find Employees
- February 27 - Should I Work? Work from Home Options for People on Social Security Disability
- March 13 - The Impact of Health Insurance on Career Decisions
- March 27 - How to Talk About MS to Your Employer
Scroll down for call descriptions.
January 16 - Should I Work from Home or Start My Own Business?
Trying to decide if working from home or starting your own business is for you? Experts in both of these areas will talk about what it takes to be a successful home-based employee or entrepreneur.
- Working from Home Resources
- Telework and Work From Home JAN resources
- JAN Fact Sheet
- JAN Entrepreneurship
- Resources for Starting Your Own Business
January 30 - Is it Time? Deciding to Change Careers or Stop Working
Working with MS is possible, but can be challenging at times. What do you do if working, or working in your field is no longer an option? How do you know when it’s time to stop or make a change? Learn from a counseling professional what to consider when having to make this important decision.
February 13 - Deciding How to Plan Your Job Search. Employers Share How They Find Employees
Hear from a panel of employers on what they really look for in a job candidate, where they find candidates and how they fill openings.
February 27 - Should I Work? Work from Home Options for People on Social Security Disability
Are you on Social Security and want to work? Do you need to or prefer to work from home? Learn how working might impact your disability benefits and hear about work from home opportunities for people on Social Security.
- 2013 Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) Work Incentives
- 2013 General Information on SSI
- Work From Home Jobs
- 2013 Red Book
March 13 - The Impact of Health Insurance on Career Decisions
Health insurance considerations can impact your decision to change jobs or leave the workforce? Learn about legal protections and questions to ask to ensure you have the coverage you need.
- Call Slides
March 27 - How to Talk About MS to Your Employer
Once you decide to disclose there are still many unanswered questions. Hear from employers and disability advocates on how to talk with your employer about your MS.
- The Win-Win Approach to Reasonable Accommodations
- NMSS Employment Page
- Dos and Don'ts of Disclosure Article by JAN