Exercise and MS
Having MS is no excuse to avoid exercise. In fact, evidence shows it’s even more important to exercise to keep the physical capabilities you have.
While the course of MS cannot be altered by rehabilitation, a growing body of evidence indicates that a carefully planned program of exercise, functional training, and activities that address your individual capabilities can:
- Improve your mobility
- Improve your ability to perform daily activities
- Improve your quality of life
- Prevent complications
- Achieve gains in safety and independence
- Reduce the need for other health care
Programs offered by our chapter, like those offered in partnership with the YMCA of Delaware and our continued support of the Yes U Can™ program, can help you stay active as you live with MS. See the blue box to the right for more information about the Yes U Can™ program.
Other programs offered by the Delaware chapter that can help you get started on the road to wellness:
- Mind, Body, Spirit - A one-day health & wellness workshop developed specifically for people living with MS
- MOVE IT. - Free Clinical Fitness Evaluations and Consultations at Christiana Care Health System's Preventive Medicine and Rehabilitation Institute (PMRI) offered in both Greenville and Smyrna - contact Carol for an application
- MS Physical Therapy Assessment Clinic at University of Delaware
For more information about Healthy Living and MS (including Eating Healthy, Managing Stress, and more), please click here.