The National MS Society Mid Florida Chapter offers limited financial assistance to those who have been diagnosed with MS and meet the criteria for assistance.
Funding will be considered for the following:
The Chapter cannot provide for recurring payments or maintenance services such as medications, home care, or other consumable goods.
Alternate avenues of payment must be explored before using chapter funds. These may include health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, VA benefits, Vocational Rehabilitation and other community resources.
Financial Assistance is limited to a maximum of $1,500.00 per person, per year. The disbursement of funds is made payable to the approved vendor or service provider only. If the service or product requested costs more that the allowed limit, you must provide information on the grant forms to how the balance will be paid.
Financial Assistance is based on eligibility guidelines established by the Mid Florida Chapter Clinical Advisory Committee and approved by the Chapter Board of Trustees.
The following items are required for the application process:
1) A signed application for Financial Assistance (see below to download)
2) A prescription indicating a multiple sclerosis diagnosis from your neurologist or primary care physician must be included
3) For medical equipment and exercise programs, a physician approval is also required
4) A copy of a quote or invoice for the service or product to be provided with the requested funds.
Upon return of your application and the above information, your request will be reviewed. Funding will be considered for items such as but not limited to:
- Exercise/Tai-chi/Yoga/Aquatic Programs/YMCA membership
- Small durable medical equipment
- Glasses/vision related equipment
- Air conditioners
- Cooling vests and other cooling equipment
- Other assistive technology
- Personal care medical supplies
- Respite care services
- Short term counseling services
- Short term in-home or companion care services
- Hippotherapy programs
- Transportation to medical appointment, NMSS programs and Self Help Group meetings
- Massage therapy when prescribed by a physician
- Nutritional services by a licensed dietician
- Vehicle modifications
- Home modifications
- Specialized equipment
The approval process generally takes three weeks after receipt of all required documentation. In order to expedite the review and approval, please provide all the required documentation with your initial request.
Once your request has been reviewed, you will receive notification of approval or denial. In case of denial, you will be provided an explanation for the denial. You may resubmit your request for assistance if the issues identified in the denial have been addressed.
The Mid Florida Chapter of the NMSS stands ready to assist you. Should you have any questions, or need assistance in completing the form, please feel free to contact our office at 1-800-344-4867 to talk to a resource specialist.