Self-help groups bring together people who share a common life experience for support, education, and mutual aid. Members of self-help groups share a belief that positive change happens through individual efforts with the support of others. The benefits of self-help groups include:
- Learning new information and strategies for confronting problems.
- Finding reassurance and support from others with similar life experiences.
- Developing personal insights and achieving personal growth.
- The opportunity to be helpful to others.
- Feeling less isolated.
- Learning to express feelings better and to be more sensitive to the feelings of others.
- Feeling empowered and more self-confident in coping with challenges.
- Developing a connection to a community and personal identification with a social group.