Community events are locally held, independent, fun-filled fundraising events that can be anything from a bake sale or as complex as a golf tournament with a silent auction. Regardless of the format and the size, the community events are designed to raise both awareness and money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. YOU are in charge of these events and they will succeed with your enthusiasm and energy. Everyone, everywhere can develop creative ways to join the movement.
February DIY Fundraising Idea
"DINING FOR MS"
Dining for MS is a DIY fundraiser idea that will sure make people hungry for giving. The main purpose of this event is to build awareness and raise money for the fight to cure MS. A corporate team, friends & family team, or an individual can bring this idea to life.
Resources and materials needed:
- Contact your local eateries to see which one will be willing to help you or your team with this event
- Tables for displaying MS awareness material
- Posters and flyers to promote the event•Event t-shirt (everyone looks nice in MS orange!)
Confirm the date:
- Contact the eatery that has confirmed partnership and work together to decide on a date and length of event. Pay days and weekends are best!
Location and site:
- Obtain approval to set up in the lobby or in an area that customers will be able to spot your MS awareness table.
Promote the event:
- Ask to put event flyer on eateries website and also send email to current eatery email recipients
- Send emails to friends and co-workers letting them know when and where
- Create a website or social media page for your event
- Post flyers everywhere your allowed
- Word of mouth, tell everyone you see!!
- The key to raising money with this event is the company donation. You can roughly ask for 5-15% of the profit during your event time
- Ask the eateries manager if monetary donations can be collected at the MS awareness table
- Ask family, friends and co-workers to volunteer for the events
- Develop a schedule for times of arrival and positions
- Ask members to be in uniform and to be ready to engage with the eateries customers
Strategies and tips:
- Gain support and trust from the local eatery and volunteer staff
- Reach out to known eateries so your event can have a great turn out
- Reach out to your local MS chapter for support, logos and promotional material•Provide information on Multiple Sclerosis and other ways to get involved with the organization to those who participate•
- HAVE FUN!!