Living with a chronic illness can be very expensive. People often find they are unable to obtain needed items that can enhance their quality of life and help them achieve their highest level of independence. The Society offers a financial assistance program to people living with MS who are in financial need.
Examples of eligible items and services include:
- Equipment Assistance - Provides a stipend toward the purchase of a piece of durable medical equipment such as a wheelchair, scooter, etc.
- Home and Vehicle Modifications - Provides financial assistance to help pay for home and vehicle modifications.
- Health & Wellness Assistance - Provides financial support for health and wellness related items, such as PT/OT evaluations, some exercise equipment, yoga class tuition, gym memberships, etc.
- Respite Care / In-Home Assistance - Professional care provided to individuals with MS from a nursing care facility or agency so that their caregiver /partner can have a respite. Also includes chore and homemaker services.
- Transportation Assistance – Offers financial support for transportation to and from physical exams, therapy appointments, infusions, hospital visits/stays, and prescription pick-up or delivery.
- Short-Term Crisis Financial Assistance - Provides limited financial assistance to address emergency needs that affect the physical or emotional well-being or an individual with MS.
Anyone with a confirmed diagnosis of MS (or related disorder) who can demonstrate true financial need related to the effects of the disorder is eligible for the Program. Since resources are limited, the National MS Society may not be able to fulfill all requests or cover all expenses related to a needed service or item.
NOTE: The Program is not intended to cover credit card bills, insurance premiums, prescription medications or previously incurred expenses.
For the updated cover letter, please click here, and for the application, click here. In addition, a vendor will be required to complete a W-9 form in order for the Indiana State Chapter to issue payment. Please click here for the W-9 form. Please print and complete these documents, sign and fax to (317) 870-2520 or mail to the Chapter office at:
National Multiple Sclerosis Society - Indiana State Chapter
Attn: Marci Corbin
3500 DePauw Boulevard, Suite 1040
Indianapolis, IN 46268
NOTE: The Financial Assistance Program has a very specific review process. The financial assistance committee meets on the first business day of each month and all determinations are made then. Applications and supporting documentation must be received by the close of the last business day of the preceding month to be considered at the next committee meeting – no exceptions.
If you have any questions, please contact the Chapter office at (800) 344-4867, option# 2 and request to speak with Marci Corbin or click here to send Marci an email.