MS shouldn't stand in the way of education. The National MS Society's scholarship program exists to help highly
qualified students who have been diagnosed with MS or who have a parent with MS achieve their dreams of going to college.
The applications for the program are available from October 1 to Mid-January.
For the 2012 program year, the South Central Region of the National MS Society was able to offer 48 scholarships to High School Seniors. In Louisiana, 7 students were awarded scholarships for the 2012-13 school year.
Kevin Kurten (Sulphur, Louisiana)
• Graduate of Sulphur High School
• Plans to Attend: McNeese State University in Lake Charles, Louisiana.
• During his high school career, Kevin participated in 4-H / Junior Leaders, Key Club, Leo Club, and Spanish Club. He is also an Eagle Scout with 5 Eagle Palms. He is also a very active community volunteer.
• Future Goals: to major in Criminal Justice, and pursue a career in Criminal Justice / Homeland Security.
Samantha Robicheaux (Berwick, Louisiana)
• Graduate of Berwick High School
• Plans to Attend: Louisiana State University and A&M College in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
• During her high school career, Samantha has participated on the Softball, Tennis, and Basketball teams. She has also participated in the Drama and Foreign Language Clubs.
• Future Goals: to attend LSU A&M to take the prerequisite courses needed for acceptance into the Pharmaceutical College at The University of Louisiana, Monroe Campus. She is choosing this path as a way to help others with their medications.
Amber Robinson (Slidell, Louisiana)
• Graduate of Salmen High School
• Plans to Attend: Delgado Community College in New Orleans, Louisiana.
• During her high school career, Amber participated in Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America. She has also been a volunteer in her community.
• Future Goals: to attend her first two years at the Community College, in order to take her basics. Then she hopes to transfer to a university, where she will continue her educational goals of achieving her Masters of Science in Nursing, to pursue a career as a Nurse Practitioner.
Kirstin Swain (Bastrop, Louisiana)
• Graduate of Prairie View Academy
• Plans to Attend: The University of Louisiana, Monroe Campus in Monroe, Louisiana.
• During her high school career, Kirstin participated on the Varsity Softball, Basketball, and Track teams. She also participated in Fellowship of Christian Students, Student Council, National Honor Society, and on the Yearbook staff. She also participated in AHEC of a summer program, where she completed 90 hours of community service and earned many awards.
• Future Goals: to pursue a career as a Radiologist.
Elizabeth Venable (Independence, Louisiana)
• Graduate of Albany High School
• Plans to Attend: The University of Louisiana, Monroe Campus in Monroe, Louisiana
• During her high school career, Elizabeth participated on the Albany High School Stingerz Dance Team, as well as in the BETA Club.
• Future Goals: to complete the education necessary for her to pursue a career as a Pharmacist.
Chelsea Wynder (Natchitoches, Louisiana)
• Graduate of Natchitoches Central High School
• Plans to Attend: Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, Louisiana
• During her high school career, Chelsea participated on the Natchitoches Central Maroon Line (Dance Team), in a Student Government Organization, PBIS, Students Against Destructive Decisions, Key Club, Future Business Leaders of America, and Freshman Mentors. She has also been an active volunteer in her community.
• Future Goals: to major in Nursing. Upon completion of her BSN,
she plans to become a Nurse Practitioner specializing in Pediatrics.