In Louisiana, We're Taking Action on Topics Like:
AWARENESS - Increase awareness of MS among Louisiana's legislators - their understanding of the disease, their compassion for people with the disease, and their comprehension of the public policy implications of MS.
HEALTH CARE - Advocate for access to quality health care for people with MS, whether they have private insurance, rely on public insurance, or are uninsured. Our specific areas of interest include:
- Ensuring that the Medicaid program takes into account the needs of people with chronic, disabling conditions such as MS
- Access to all of the MS disease-modifying drugs
- Access to physical and occupational therapies
- Access to specialists for people with chronic conditions, such as neurologists for people with MS
- Realistic copayments that are not a barrier to obtaining health care
HOUSING - Expand initiatives to assist low to moderate-income people with MS remain in the least restrictive environment. Various mechanisms to do this may include, but is not limited to, expanding availability of targeted tax credits, home care initiatives, and caregiver support programs.
LONG-TERM CARE - Advocate for long-term care planning options relevant for people with MS. This includes exploring possible public-private partnerships or Medicaid buy-in opportunities.
TRANSPORTATION - Identify ways to improve accessible transportation.
PRIVACY - Preserve the privacy of people with MS, by reviewing proposed changes in format and availability of medical records to make sure they are consistent with HIPPA and allow the patient to remain in control of who may access his/her private health information.