Welcome to the
National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Michigan Chapter, Inc.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society was founded by Sylvia Lawry in 1946 and was incorporated in 1948. In June of that same year, the Michigan Chapter incorporated and in October had accepted a charter with the National Society.
From its incorporation in the 1970s, the Michigan Chapter developed its organizational structure and broadened its volunteer base. It served less than 3,000 clients statewide through basic service programs such as clinics, literature and the medical equipment program.
In the 1980s the Chapter experienced phenomenal growth in all areas. Heightened public awareness brought upwards of 7,000 people with MS to the Chapter's roster. Service programs were dramatically increased to meet the needs of this large and growing population. Clearly, fundraising became a major focus to support the Chapter's tremendous growth.
Now, in the 21st Century, we are one of the largest National MS Society Chapters in the country. The Michigan Chapter has identified nearly 18,000 people with MS. These individuals and their families are serviced through a regional structure. The Chapter's five regions offer an extensive service portfolio coordinated by a dedicated staff and thousands of volunteers across the state of Michigan.