Financial Assistance Now Available
The National MS Society, Michigan Chapter develops, delivers and leverages resources to enhance care for people with MS and the quality of life for those affected by the disease. Within the Financial Assistance program, we focus our efforts to minimize the financial impact of MS on individuals and families. We hope to enhance the quality of life and help individuals with MS achieve their highest level of independence.
The program helps Chapter members obtain financial assistance in the areas of:
- Transportation -To and from medical and select agency appointments.
- Home Care - Short-term personal care and chore services by licensed agencies. This service offers assistance in the home with tasks that individuals living with MS are having difficulty completing (meal preparation, light housekeeping, laundry, bathing, and dressing).
- Respite Care - Care when the usual caregiver is temporarily unavailable because of travel, illness or other demands.
- Short-term Counseling - Counseling for those facing unexpected challenges as a result of their MS. Limited counseling services are available through in-person and telephone sessions.
- Medical Equipment - The purchase or repair of a variety of equipment including wheelchairs, walkers, scooters and bathroom equipment.
- Loan Closet - Program that provides short-term and long-term loans on durable medical equipment. (Only SE Michigan at this time)
- Home and Auto Modifications - To accommodate the needs of people with MS, changes in the home might be necessary including the addition of ramps, grab bars, or modifications to vehicles including hand controls.
- Window air conditioners - Standard window units are available but limited to no more than one window unit per year with a minimum of five years between requests. This service is offered from May 1st through September 30th of each year.
- Cooling Items - Garments including vests and hats are available to help relieve the symptoms caused by warm temperatures. This service is offered from May 1st through September 30th of each year.
- Emergency Response Systems - This system ensures that adults living at home can access emergency assistance whenever needed - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Incontinence Supplies - Home delivery of disposable undergarments, mattress pads, and other items.
- Assistive Technology - Hardware and software that helps persons with MS gain access to technology in their homes.
- Rehabilitation Therapy - Short-term, out-patient or in-home therapy provided for the under or uninsured. Available for physical therapy occupational therapy, and speech and language.
- Physical Activity Scholarships - Scholarships for exercise classes that are geared toward people with MS or other disabilities such as aquatics, yoga, and Tai chi.
- Limited Emergency Assistance - Available for help with utilities, rent and mortgage payments. This assistance is limited and persons applying need to submit additional paperwork to qualify.
All assistance is based on financial need and provided according to a sliding fee scale.
To obtain assistance, the Chapter requires:
- Completion of a confidential financial assistance application
- Written verification of MS diagnosis
- Other paperwork as may be required at the time of the request
- Some items and services require a physician’s prescription
For more information or to apply for Financial Assistance call 800-344-4867, and select Option 1.
Services provided depending on available resources. The Chapter may only be able to cover a portion of the cost towards products, equipment, and services. Advance notice required for all services.
Partial support underwritten by the R.M. Gerstacker Foundation.