Living with multiple sclerosis can mean unexpected and ongoing financial difficulties for you and your family. The National MS Society, Upper Midwest Chapter is here to make sure that doesn’t stop you from moving forward. We provide limited financial assistance, scholarships, services and other resources to improve your quality of life and help ease the financial burden of MS.
How it works
The Society can help cover a portion of the cost of a wide range of products and services that support the independence, safety, health and quality of life for people with MS. For more information or to apply for assistance, call 800-582-5296 (option 1). An MS Navigator® will talk you through the process and send you an application and/or referrals for eligible aids or service providers in your area. They’ll also help you evaluate other options you may have available.
What the National MS Society can provide
We can help cover the cost of products, such as:
- Scooters, power chairs, walkers and other mobility devices;
- Cooling vests, air conditioners and other cooling aids;
- Ramps, grab bars,bath safety products and other home modifications;
- Auto modifications such as hand conrols and lifts;
- Tools and devices to simplify day-to-day tasks;
- Exercise equipment; and
- Much more.
We can also help with the cost of services that make life easier, such as:
- Mental health counseling;
- Transportation to and from medical appointments;
- Home assessments to increase safety and accessibility;
- Respite care services (a break for unpaid caregivers);
- Yard maintenance, snow removal and light housekeeping;
- Exercise and wellness classes and opportunities;
- College scholarships for people with MS and their children; and
- Many more.
What the National MS Society can't provide
We cannot cover the costs of:
- Medical and office visit co-pays or bills (except for mental health counseling);
- Prescriptions and other medications;
- Credit card bills;
- Insurance premiums;
- Loan payments;
- Taxes; and
- Previously incurred expenses.