When living with MS, there are varying degrees of support needed. Some people may live independently and require assistance only with certain activities, such as bathing. Others enjoy the socialization of attending an adult day program. Long-term care services can keep people moving along a continuum, whether it is minimal or complete care. Services are available either in the home or within the community.
The Gateway Area Chapter provides the following:
- Deliver A Smile visits to individuals with MS who are unable to leave their home unassisted, are socially isolated, and/or live in a nursing home or skilled care facility.
- Collaborative programming and services at NHC of Town & Country, St. Louis, Mo, a specialized MS Wing for individuals with MS. For more information visit their website at www.townandcountryhealthcare.com or to contact NHC of Town and Country, please call 636-227-5700 or fax them at 636-227-9431.
- Information on the types of long-term services available in your community
- Limited counseling and consultation on care decision-making
- Information on resources available to finance long-term services
- Lists of care facilities in the chapter area, such as adult day care, respite care, home care services and nursing facilities
- "Coping with Change” client education programs
- Staff training and regular mail updates to interested long-term care facilities
To get more information about long-term care, please call 1-800-344-4867.