Self-help groups are located throughout our Chapter area to provide you with a place to go and talk with others and learn more about MS. There are more than 15 million people in more than 500,000 self-help groups in the United States. These groups bring together people who share a common life support for support, education and mutual aid. Members of a self-help group share a belief that positive personal change happens through individual efforts with the support of others.
Benefits of self-help groups to their members include:
- Learning new information and strategies for confronting problems
- Finding reassurance and support from others with similar life experiences.
- Developing personal insights and achieving personal growth.
- The opportunity to be helpful to others.
- Feeling less isolated.
- Learning to express feelings better and to be more sensitive to the feelings of others.
- Feeling empowered and more self-confident in coping with challenges.
- Developing a connection to a community and personal identification with a social group.
Self-help groups are located throughout our Chapter area to provide you with a place to go and talk with others and learn more about MS.