Although every health insurance plan is different, physical therapy services are typically covered by health insurance. There are many variations on what and how much is covered, which may be regulated by number of visits per year and/or how much physical therapy you have had in the past. In order to learn more about your coverage, you can ask your physical therapist office or your primary care physician office to contact the insurance company prior to your visit. You can also call your provider yourself to find out your specific physical therapy benefits. The information below includes contact information and links for many of the common health insurance plans and may help you more easily be in touch with your insurance provider.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Individual and Family Plans (for people under age 65): 1-800-324-4973
- Blue Medicare Supplemental: 1-800-478-0583
- Blue Medicare HMO and Blue Medicare PPO: 1-800-665-8037
- Group Plans (company sponsored): 1-800-291-6315
- United Healthcare North Carolina 1-800-362-0655
- Aetna Healthcare 1-877-56-PLANS
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Department of Health & Human Services 1-800-MEDICARE
If you are underinsured or uninsured, most physical therapy clinics can work out a payment plan that is suitable for you. The most important thing is your wellness, so do not hesitate to ask!
If you need additional assistance, we can help. Please call 1-800 FIGHT MS to speak with an information specialist.