Join the movement. Create change. Be an MS activist. You can take action now. Sign up at www.nationalMSsociety.org/MSactivist . Receive updates on health care reform, policy priorities, and solutions to MS issues. Encourage others to get involved too.
We are activists. Many are individuals who live with MS. Some are friends and family members. Many others are individuals who simply recognize their passion and ability to move us closer to a world free of MS.
Change happens through MS activism.
HOW CAN I BE AN MS ACTIVIST?
I only have a few minutes…
- Take action on a hot federal issue.
- Visit the MS activist blogand leave a comment.
- Contact your elected officialabout an issue.
- Ask your friends, family, and colleagues to get involved.
- Read our National Health Care Reform Principles.
- Register to vote.
I have some spare time…
- Read about other MS activists and our success stories.
- Post MS issues on your own web site, blog, or viral space. Link back to ours.
- Research state legislationonline.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. Tell your story and ask for change on one issue.
I can make a commitment…
- Become an advocacy volunteer. Check out local opportunities.
- Visit your state or federal legislators in their local office.
- Talk to the chapter about becoming a spokesperson and sharing your personal story with others.
- Join our chapter MS activism committee.
- Become a subject matter expert and serve on a local task force.
- Contact the chapter to learn about other opportunities.
ABOUT MS ACTIVISM
Thousands of individuals nationwide are joining a grassroots movement of MS activism. We give voice to people living with MS. We raise awareness for the challenges of MS and call for change.
Together, MS activists take action and shape health policies to benefit people living with MS.
As a grassroots MS activist, you will receive:
- The information and tools you need to understand the issues, the best ways to act on them, and how to reach out in your community.
- An MS Action Alert e-mail when an important issue or piece of legislation calls for your immediate attention.
- Our monthly Federal Focus e-newsletter—an update on MS activism successes, timely legislation, and emerging issues.
MS activists work with the public and private sectors to benefit the lives of people with MS and their families. Most of our advocacy is directed toward the public sector: federal, state and local units of governments. Private sector advocacy could involve urging a health care insurer to fairly cover MS treatments or requesting a local business to remove physical barriers to hiring people with disabilities.
PRIORITY MS ISSUES
Until a cure is found, the New Jersey Metro Chapter and MS activists are currently pursuing:
• Health care reform
• Improved community resources
• Disability rights
• Long-term care resources
• Access to quality health care services
• Increased funding for MS research
• Accessible, affordable health insurance
• Accessible, affordable housing
In Washington, DC, we are working toward positive legislative change. Read about our priority MS issues.
Read the National Health Care Reform Principles (pdf). These principles help guide our role in the national health care reform debate and determine the Society’s policy priorities.
Success is when people with MS and those connected to the cause speak out on issues important to them, ask for change, and work with public officials to address them in a positive way.
Thanks to MS activists, we have successfully…
- Lobbied for funding for accessible, affordable housing.
- Raised awareness of accessibility issues.
- Brought health issue concerns to Capitol Hill.