Accessible affordable housing is often a critical element in enabling people with MS to preserve their independence and remain engaged in their communities. However learning about available housing options can be challenging. Whether seeking to renegotiate a mortgage, arrange home modifications, apply for rental vouchers, or explore affordable assisted living, navigating the maze of agencies and funding sources supporting these alternatives and services can be daunting.
In order to make this process easier, we have developed a user-friendly resource to help families evaluate their housing needs and better understand the range of housing options available to them. This resource addresses each of the subjects listed below.
- Financial resources and strategies for the homeowner
- Tips for avoiding foreclosure
- Finding accessible homes and apartments
- Financial resources for home modifications
- Working with contractors
- Protections against housing discrimination
- Rental assistance
- Subsidized housing
- Supportive housing options