The New York City - Southern New York Chapter of the National MS Society is committed to helping the thousands of residents in New York City and Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Orange and Sullivan Counties who are impacted by MS continue moving their lives forward. The chapter provides hundreds of comprehensive support services and educational programs to people living with MS, their family and friends, and raises funds locally to support the National MS Society’s critical research initiatives.
The National MS Society has been a driving force of MS research since its inception in 1947 and has been at the center of nearly every breakthrough in the treatment and knowledge of the disease. In the last 60 years, the Society has invested $600 million for research in the pursuit of prevention, treatment and a cure.
In 2011 alone, through our national office and 50-state network of chapters, wedevoted $164 million to programs and services that improved the lives of more than one millionpeople. To move us closer to a world free of MS, the Society also invested $40 million to support more than 325 new and ongoing research projects around the world.
We are committed to creating a world free of multiple sclerosis. Our global support of MS research and treatment focuses on three key areas:
STOPPING the progression of the disease
RESTORING function that’s been lost
ENDING the disease forever
The following are the priorities in our support of MS research through 2015:
- To better understand the scientific mechanisms leading to disease progression and to accelerate the development of new therapies.
- To pursue new avenues for discovering how nerve cells are damaged and potentially repaired.
- To pursue new rehabilitation techniques and symptomatic treatments to restore neurological function and enhance quality of life.
- To identify risk and triggering factors that cause MS, and understand the biological interactions that lead to its development so that MS can be prevented.
- To expand and strengthen the quantity and quality of MS research worldwide to accelerate new discoveries and treatments for people living with MS.
The National MS Society is proud to be a source of information about MS. Our comments are based on professional advice, published experience and expert opinion, but do not represent individual therapeutic recommendation or prescription. For specific information and advice, consult your personal physician. Please direct inquiries or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the New York City - Southern New York Chapter at 212-463-7787. Our mailing address is: New York City - Southern New York Chapter, National MS Society, 733 Third Ave., Third Floor, New York, NY 10017.
|Board of Trustees||View our Board of Trustees.|
|Staff||View our Staff, including contact information.|
|Newsletters||View our Chapter newsletters.|
|Annual Report||View our Annual Report for FY 2011.|
|Form 990||View our 990 Form for FY 2012|
|Financial Reports||View our Financial Reports for FY 2011|