The New York City - Southern New York Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society offers support groups for individuals living with MS, their families and caregivers. These groups were created to meet the needs of people with similar concerns.
All groups provide opportunities to discuss MS-related concerns, experiences and resources. They are led by chapter-trained therapists. To participate in a group, you must be registered as a member of the chapter. Membership is free.
• Free of charge
• 90 minute sessions
• Locations throughout the five boroughs of New York City and the Southern New York area
Conference Call Groups
• Free of charge
• No special equipment needed
• 60 minute sessions
• Connect with others from the convenience of your home
NEW: Online Group!
Register for this virtual-support community for people living with MS.
• Password protected
• Participate 24 hours a day, seven days a week
• Share your thoughts about your challenges and concerns regarding living with MS
• Engage with your community
• Professional leader regularly posts responses, explores topics and shares information
The Fall Support Group Semester has concluded.
Registration and group listings for the Spring Semester will be available on March 1, 2013.
The Spring Semester begins the week of April 8, 2013. Please visit us again for specific group information beginning March 1, 2013.
TO REGISTER-as of March 1, 2013:
• Call 1-800-344-4867, option 1
• Visit supportgroups.MSnyc.org
NOTE: REGISTRATION IS OPEN FOR THE FOLLOWING SUPPORT GROUPS THAT MEET YEAR-ROUND.
For people living with MS:
• Introductory Newly Diagnosed (for individuals diagnosed with MS within the last two years and the family.) One in-person session (Phone registration only. Call 212-453-3230 for the date of the next session and to register.)
• Ongoing Newly Diagnosed (for individuals who have attended the Introductory Newly Diagnosed Group).
• Professional Men Living with MS Bi-monthly in-person sessions
• Rockland County Coping with MS Monthly in-person sessions
• 20-30s Networking (for individuals ages 20-39 with MS) Monthly in-person sessions
• Living with MS Westchester County Bi-monthly in-person sessions
• Living with Primary Progressive MS Monthly conference call (for individuals diagnosed with primary progressive MS within the past 5 years)
• Online Living with MS Ongoing
For family members:
• Spouses and Partners of Individuals Newly Diagnosed with MS Monthly in-person sessions
• Family/Caregivers – Queens Monthly in-person in sessions.
To register for the year-round groups:
Call 1-800-344-4867, option 1. Se habla español, opción 3.
A trained staff person will register you.
Click on the links above for more information and to register.
AFTER YOU REGISTER
The therapist leading your group will call you with specific details, including when you can start. Please do not attend a group without hearing from the group leader first, as group schedules change and the group leader will confirm the next meeting date. If you have not heard back regarding your registration within a few business days, please call: 1-800-344-4867.
Peer run self-help groups are also offered year-round in most New York City boroughs and Southern New York counties. For more information about self-help groups, click here.