We can’t do this without you. Sign up to volunteer today!
The success of Bike MS is directly related to the wonderful volunteers who help make the event go off without a hitch. We welcome volunteers with a wide range of talents and skills.
There is only one requirement: to want to do something about MS NOW.
For Safety Information about riding Click Here
***Cyclists must be 12 years old or older by June 27, 2010 in order to ride on a single-seat bike (parents must still ride in the event with their child age 12-17 at all times). No children under the age of 12 are permitted to ride. All cyclists under the age of 18 must bring a notarized waiver, signed by a parent, to the event. No children are allowed on the backs of bikes or sidecars. Please contact the chapter at 918-488-0882 ext. 15 for more information.
Here is how you can get involved today:
- Register as a Volunteer
- Check out the Volunteer Job Descriptions below
- Volunteer for a shift
- Fundraise as a Volunteer and help provide support to find a cure for MS now
- Refer to the Bike MS 2010 Volunteer Guidelines below for further information
- To register online select: Click on the appropriate Registration Button (Create a Team, Join a Team, or Register as an Individual)
- Select "2010 Bike Volunteer" as registration type
- Follow the registration process
Volunteers who register online receive:
- Bike MS 2010 Volunteer T-shirt the day of Bike MS
- Confirmed volunteer assignment and training materials prior to Bike MS
- Your own online personal page that you can customize to tell your story of why you volunteer, encourage others to join you and fundraise as we move toward a world free of MS
Volunteer Job Descriptions:
Upload - Help load event vehicles and assist with other event preparations on both days of the ride. Heavy lifting required.
Rest Stops - Devote your time to helping the cyclists through there journey through the farms. Man a rest stop and distribute food and beverages to riders.
Bike Parking & Gear - Help store bicycles and gear for riders and monitor the area to ensure the security of items. Heavy lifting required.
Route Marking - This crew is responsible for putting up and taking down route signage.
Packet Pick-Up - Greet and check-in riders. Assist with pledge collection. Some heavy lifting may be required.
Move Others - Provide valuable information on how people can get involved to create a world free of MS.
Volunteer Check-In - Greet volunteers, check them in, hand out volunteer t-shirts and direct them to their volunteer assignment.
Participant Jerseys & T-Shirts - Distribute t-shirts and rider jerseys to participants. Lifting required.
Concierge - Be the 'answer to every question' and assist participants, volunteers and their friends & family with general information about the event and the local area.
Parking & Traffic Control - Assist our safety committee in making this a safe ride for all cyclists.
Breakfast/Dinner - Help serve breakfast or dinner to participants and volunteers. Some lifting required.
Site Operations - Help set-up and maintain the site throughout the event. Moderate to heavy lifting required.
Stage Crew - Assist with the evening program on Day 1 of the ride.
Site Break-Down - Help tear down and clean up the event site. Lifting required.
Download - Help unload event vehicles on both days of the event. Heavy lifting required.
Route Clean-Up - Follow the 'caboose' and help clean up the rest stops as they close. Heavy lifting is required and must be comfortable driving a large truck.
Volunteer opportunities before the ride
If you already have a prior engagement the weekend of September 25 & 26, 2010, but would still like to help in the Bike MS 2010, don’t worry! There are plenty of volunteer opportunities before the ride including:
Packet Pickups - Help out during one of the scheduled packet pickups held throughout the Oklahoma area. Dates and locations TBD.
Office Assistant - Come down to the Oklahoma Chapter and help us out with some general office needs.
For more information and other volunteer opportunities contact Blaine King at 918-488-0882 ext. 15.
Fundraising as a Volunteer
While not required, volunteers often want to do more than help at the event or work on a planning committee -- they want to raise money to help create a world free of MS. Once you register, you will receive the same online and other fundraising tools our cyclists enjoy, including your own Participant Center that you can customize to show what you’re doing to create a world free of MS! And when you fundraise as a volunteer, you will be eligible to win the same great prizes available to cyclists!
Bike MS 2009 Volunteer Guidelines
Below are guidelines to help you prepare for your volunteer day at your community's Bike MS site.
- Wear comfortable shoes and dress - gym shoes, jeans (no holes or low rise) or shorts are acceptable.
- Bike MS will take place rain or shine. So look ahead for the weather report so that you will know the day’s temperature. It may be bright and sunny (bring sun block lotion) or cloudy and rainy (bring umbrella or poncho).
- Please do your best to check-in on time. Upon arrival, please go directly to the Volunteer Check-in Table where you will need to sign-in, get a nametag and receive a Volunteer T-shirt.
- Remember to check with your Volunteer Coordinator whenever you need to take a break or leave for the day.
- You want to make sure that your area is covered or that you have completed your project for the day.
- Please be flexible whenever possible as part of the volunteer support team.
- Snacks and drinks will be provided for all volunteers.
- Training for your respective role will be provided either prior to the event or on-site.
- After your volunteer project is completed, you are welcome to stay and enjoy the festivities.
Note: For any additional volunteer guidelines, we will provide them via email or mail.
Bike MS Programs
Volunteering for Bike MS is a great way to fulfill community service hours for your school or work. Does your School, Civic group, or club want to be more involved with Bike MS let us know! There's power in numbers, and the more people and organizations that join the movement and commit to fulfilling our mission to create a world free of MS, the closer we are to finding a cure for multiple sclerosis now!
If you think your organization would like to participate with Bike MS please contact Blaine King at 800-344-4867 or email@example.com for further information.
Bike MS Ambassador
Would you like to assist us with promoting Bike MS in your community? You can help spread the word about Bike MS at your community health fair, town hall meeting, or school pep assembly - the possibilities are endless! This is a great way to be even more involved with Bike MS. Bike MS promotional material will be provided and all you have to do is create awareness, promote the event, and ultimately create a world free of MS! Please contact Blaine King at 800-344-4867 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.