What is a team?
• A team consists of a captain and at least three additional team members. A team may have more than one captain, which is a great way to share responsibilities.
• Teams are generally classified as Corporate (meaning they represent a company or organization) or Friends and Family. However, we encourage all teams to be inclusive and recruit from many areas. Some of our best Corporate teams consist of company members along with their families and friends.
• Each team member is encouraged to raise money so we can achieve a world free of multiple sclerosis.
• Monies raised by individuals on a team combine to make that team’s fundraising total.
What does it cost?
• There is no fee for registering a team, but each team member is responsible for the individual registration fee
• Each team member is asked to raise a minimum of $300.
• Teams may invest in team shirts, team jerseys, a team tent, or other items, but those costs are at the discretion of the team or supporting company.
Why do we like teams?
• Teams provide a way for groups to get involved with the National MS Society and raise awareness of the disease and the services we offer.
• Teams provide a support mechanism for members during the training and fundraising season.
• Teams allow organizations to show their philanthropic spirit.
• Teams generate enthusiasm before, during, and after the event.
Why should you form a team?
• The best reason to form a team is to make a stand against multiple sclerosis! Money raised by our participants directly benefits those living with this chronic and unpredictable disease by funding programs, services, research and advocacy.
• Bike MS is a fantastic event. The weekend features not only great routes but also fantastic food, drink, and live entertainment. And these things are all best when shared with your friends, family, and/or co-workers.
• Teams provide a way for people to come together. Bike MS provides a common goal for team members to rally around.
• Team participation creates great community visibility for a company or organization.
• A team provides great motivation to reach a personal fitness goal while enjoying time with others.
• Teams can win great prizes for spirit, fundraising, and participation!
What are the responsibilities of the team captain?
• The team captain leads efforts to recruit team members.
• The team captain encourages team members to set and meet individual and team fundraising goals.
• The team captain may organize training rides, group socials, and/or fundraising events for the team.
• The team captain is the primary contact from the Chapter to the team. The team captain will receive regular emails with event, fundraising, and mission updates. It is the responsibility of the captain to communicate pertinent information to other team members.
• The team captain should encourage team members to have fun!
What tools are in place to assist the team captain?
• Web Tools: As a Bike MS participant, you have access to great online tools that you and your team members can use to register, send email messages, request and track donations, and monitor progress. Build a web page for your team and have each team member create a personal page, too!
• Email Updates: We’ll help you through the process of being a team captain by providing you with regular emails tailored to help you with recruitment, organization, and fundraising.
• Team Weeks: Team Weeks are five days of fun to promote your team’s recruitment and fundraising efforts. We’ll provide you with creative ideas and emails and give you the support and encouragement (including prizes) you need to step it up.
• Team Village: You’ve assembled your team, solicited donations, and now it’s Bike MS weekend. Team Village is a place where teams can assemble to enjoy the event, show their spirit, and continue their camaraderie. Teams are invited to put up tents, hang banners, and decorate the area. We want you to have fun!