Guide for People with MS in Virginia
Affordable accessible housing is often a critical element in enabling people with MS to preserve their independence and remain engaged in their communities. However, learning about available housing options can be challenging. Whether seeking to renegotiate a mortgage, arrange home modifications, apply for rental vouchers, or explore affordable assisted living, navigating the maze of agencies and funding sources supporting these alternatives and services can be daunting.
To make this process easier, the National MS Society has developed a user-friendly resource to help families evaluate their housing needs and better understand the range of housing options available to them. This resource addresses each of the subjects listed below and utilizes hyperlinks to provide users with direct access to the organizations and/or agencies relevant to that topic area.
- Financial resources and strategies for the homeowner
- Tips for avoiding foreclosure
- Finding accessible homes and apartments
- Financial resources for home modifications
- Working with contractors
- Protections against housing discrimination
- Rental assistance
- Subsidized housing
- Supportive housing options
Since housing options and resources vary significantly around the country, this resource has been designed to provide not only a significant amount of general information, but to link directly to local resources and contacts.
Download the guide- Affordable Accessible Housing: A Guide for People with MS in Virginia (.pdf)
- In this PDF document, you can link directly to outside resources via hyperlinks, navigate within the resource by clicking to jump to sections or return to the table of contents, and utilize all of the tools associated with PDF documents (large print, “read out loud” feature, etc.).
View Interactive Version-
- The interactive guide below will allow you to view the document online and flip through it just as you would a paper document. Providing you with this electronic version allows us to save money on printing and shipping costs, and it helps save trees.