This year’s theme is Move it. Move it is a theme that comes with many different connotations – from serious to humorous, to interactive and edgy, to provocative – and is always in support of our core message: movement. Move it is all about moving the message forward; it’s about volunteering, walking, cycling, advocating, educating, raising awareness; showing that every unique mark builds the MS movement; it’s about encouraging people to support the Society and motivating the millions of people who want to do something about MS now.
Whether you’re a Move It maverick or a Move It motivator, you can make a difference in the lives of the people who live with MS. There are fun and easy activities throughout MS Awareness Week that will make you feel ‘good’ while you do good.
Are you ready to move it?!
In an effort to BE BOLD the Hampton Roads Chapter would like for you to join us as we put together a visual display to spread awareness about MS. We want to show everyone how many members of our community live with this unpredictable disease.
What does 2,711 look like? TOO MANY.
We will gather at Thalia Lynn Baptist Church (next to Princess Anne High School in Virginia Beach) to decorate this prominent spot with one orange flag for everyone who lives with MS in the Hampton Roads Chapter territory. Please come on out and publicly show your support for the MS Movement.
March 8, 2010
Thalia Lynn Baptist Church
4392 Virginia Beach Boulevard
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
For more information, contact Shannon Rice or Robyn Hirsch at the Chapter at 757-490-9627.
Don’t forget to wear your orange!
Fun Ways to Spread the Word
- Become a fan of the National MS Society, Hampton Roads Chapter on Facebook or Twitter.
- Become a Movement Ambassador and attend the training on March 9 on the Southside or March 24 on the Peninsula.
- Use one of the MS badges as your profile picture on Facebook, MySpace and more.
- Do you have a web site? Download and post an Awareness Week web banner on your site and then forward it to everyone you know who has a website. Ask them to post the banner during MS Awareness Week. Remember to have the URL click back to www.nationalMSsociety.org.
- Make MS Awareness Week your wallpaper on your computer screen and your signature on your emails.
- Donate your status update and profile picture on Facebook to MS Awareness Week!
Friday, March 12 is ORANGE DAY!!
- Splash Hampton Roads in MS signature orange!
- Wear Orange clothing as you go about your day
- Eat Orange food – pack your lunch, your kid’s lunches, your dining room table with carrots, sweet potatoes, Clementine’s, peppers, what else?? Orange you glad I didn’t say orange?
- Send orange e-mails, use orange fonts on your computer
Buy the MS Flappy!
Care-A-Lot Pet Supply is back for more! In past years they JOINED THE MOVEMENT with the MS Loofa Dog, MS collars, and MS treats raising over $57,000 for MS research. This year, they are taking another bite out of MS with exclusive MS Research Flappy. All of the profits from the sale of these dog toys will go towards the funding of the Promise 2010 Campaign for MS Research, a nationwide effort to raise $30 million for MS research by the end of 2010. The MS Flappys and all other MS pet products may be purchased at one of the Care-A-Lot Pet Supply retail locations or at www.carealotpets.com.
Visit Care-A-Lot Pet Supply and thank them for taking a bite out of MS!
Care-A-Lot Pet Supply
1924 Diamond Springs Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23455
Day Care & Boarding:
8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Sunday: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Care-A-Lot Pet Supply
301 Oyster Point Rd.
Newport News, VA 23602
9:00 AM to 9:00 PM
Sunday: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Be part of bike MS: Virginia’s Ocean to Bay Ride 2010
Dig out the leotards and legwarmers, parachute pants and acid washed jeans! We’re celebrating 30 years of Bike MS in Hampton Roads. That’s right! Bike MS started in 1981 and we’re planning a party with live music by The DeLoreans! Enjoy the all 80’s show band out of Hampton Roads, Virginia. They have been named the hottest 80’s show band on the east coast and will soon be the best in the United States as they are planning trips all over as we speak! We’ll be “Dancing on the Ceiling” June 5-6, 2010 on the Eastern Shore.
In conjunction with MS Awareness Week, Team Week for the Bike MS event is March 8-14. During MS Awareness Week, we will have prizes for anyone who registers, any registered cyclist who raises $250, and any team that has a 10% increase (new teams must recruit 4 + 10%). To help you recruit,
registration for Team Week will be $30, or free if you spend $150 at a sponsoring bike shop, plus accommodations (the regular registration price is $45!).
If you are interested in starting a team, please register today. The first person to register the team becomes the Team Captain. It only takes four or more people to make a team, so recruit friends to join you from your workplace, school, religious organization, or other group.
Get Linked to Information about MS
The National MS Society is pleased to present:
It’s so easy; participants call a toll-free number to listen to the presentation from the comfort of their homes, so spread the word about this call, and JOIN THE MOVEMENT.