On the first day of MS Awareness Week (March 12, 2011), members of the National MS Society, Hampton Roads Chapter gathered at Thalia Lynn Baptist Church (next to Princess Anne High School) in Virginia Beach, VA to decorate this prominent spot with one orange flag for everyone who lives with multiple sclerosis in the Hampton Roads Chapter's territory.
Thank you to everyone who came out and publicly showed your support for the MS Movement. We are proud of your effort to BE BOLD and spread awareness about this unpredictable disease.
Fun Ways to Spread the Word and Raise Awareness
• Invite your friends and family to become a fan of the National MS Society, Hampton Roads Chapter on Facebook or Twitter
• Conduct a Facebook campaign asking your friends to dedicate their status or profile picture to the cause
• Gather a group of friends outside of a prominent place and splash the area with orange pom-poms and signs announcing MS Awareness Week
• Or think of your own creative MS Awareness activity (Don’t forget to share your great ideas with us; post your ideas on our facebook page.)
Digital Downloads (MSConnection.org)
• Use one of our MS badges or Facebook Covers on your social media page
• Include one of our E-Mail Signature Images in all your emails leading up to and during MS Awareness Week
• Do you have a web site? Download and post an MS Awareness Week web banner on your site and then forward it to everyone you know who has a website. Ask them to post the banner during MS Awareness Week. (Remember to have the URL click back to
• Use one of our MS Awareness Week wallpapers
• Share the “MS Impacts Us All“ YouTube video with everyone you know
• Donate your status updates on Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter to MS Awareness Week!
Make It Your Mission to Splash Hampton Roads with ORANGE during MS
• Wear our signature orange throughout the week
• Conduct a “Wear Orange” day at your work or school
• Bring your friends or co-workers a sweet, orange treat–cupcakes, oranges
• Use orange fonts on your computer (don’t forget to download and use an MS Awareness Week Email Signature)
Get Involved in MS Activism
Every person touched by MS has a unique and powerful story. Whether you are a person living with multiple sclerosis, a family member, a friend, or a volunteer for the cause, sharing your experience can help create positive change.
• Take action on a federal issue (http://capwiz.com/nmss/issues/)
• Visit the MS activist blog (www.msactivist.blogspot.com) and leave a comment
• Contact your elected official and share your story
• Ask your friends, family, and colleagues to get involved (http://capwiz.com/nmss/taf/)
• Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. Tell your story and ask for change on one issue.
In conjunction with MS Awareness Week, Team Week for the Bike MS and Walk MS is March 12-18. We will have prizes for the teams that have the highest percentage of participant recruitment. To help you recruit, registration during Team Week for Bike MS
is $25 plus accommodations (the regular registration price is $45!) and of course, Walk MS is FREE!
If you are interested in starting a team, please follow the link above for the desired event. The first person to register the team becomes the Team Captain. It only takes four or more people to make a team, so recruit friends to join you from your workplace, school, religious organization, or other group.