Check out the following online instructional videos, DVDs and books specifically for people living with MS.
Physical and psychological factors frequently prevent people from exercising as often as recommended. Transportation to a facility, accessibility, and financial constraints are big contributing factors that limit ones physical activity levels. That is why we are sharing online resources to individuals looking to be active from the comfort of their own home!
All you need is a little bit of space, a chair, a carpet or exercise mat, a towel, and a bottle of water!
It is recommended that you consult your doctor before beginning a new exercise program.
The following videos were created by the Multiple Sclerosis Society (UK). They link to the official YouTube channel for the MS Society (UK).
The Warm-Up: Follow along to this warm-up and learn different stretches that are important to practice before you begin your workout. These stretches can be done standing up or sitting down, whichever is more comfortable for you!
The Work-Out: Follow Sally as she leads you through a number of exercises designed for people living with MS. Some of these exercises need to be done standing. Please make sure you have completed the Warm-Up before executing the Work-Out.
- The Cool Down: Join Sally as she takes you through essential stretches designed for after the Work-Out. Exercises include body curls, breathing activities, and more!
Check out these online videos of Evergreen Health's "Therapeutic Yoga for MS," covering breathing, core, lower back, neck and shoulders, balance, and relaxation. They are specifically designed for MS!
Check out these booklets: Stretching for People with MS and Stretching with a Helper for People with MS. They focus on the basics to move and gently stretch muscles and other soft tissues, such as tendons, on your own, at your own pace.
Interested in owning your own video tape or book on physical activity and MS?
Check out these great resources that can help get you movin’! They can be purchased on such websites as Amazon.com.
Instructional Video Tapes and DVDs:
- Yogability and You
- Gentle Fitness
- Jodi Stolove’s Chair Dancing Around the World
- Jodi Stolove’s Chair Dancing: Sit Down and Tone Up
- MyMS Yoga DVD (order your copy today)
- Pathways Exercise Video for People with Limited Mobility
- Seated Yoga with Carol Dickman
- Sit and be Fit
- Yoga – Adapted for People with Multiple Sclerosis and Other Disabilities
- Dahn Yoga for Multiple Sclerosis and Similar Conditions
- Yoga Tips for People with MS
- Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis – Brad Hamler, 2006
- Get Fit While You Sit: Easy Workouts from Your Chair – Charlene Torkelson, 1999
- Recovery Yoga: A Practical Guide for Chronically Ill, Injured, and Post-Operative People - Sam Dworkis, 1997
- Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times – Judith Lasater, 1995
- Tai Chi in a Chair – Cynthia Quarta, 2001
- Yoga and MS: A Journey to Health and Healing – Loren Fishman & Eric Small, 2007
Wellness Grants help make exercise and other activities related to health and wellness accessible. If cost is a barrier, apply for a Wellness Grant and we can explore all resources available to you including insurance benefits, community resources and short-term financial assistance. Exercise is medicine!