“I love that the Society’s scholarship program allows my kids to attend camp. It’s comforting knowing that while I suffer from this disease, hopefully my children will not have to.”
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society-Wisconsin Chapter helps by providing scholarships for children to attend accredited Wisconsin summer camps. From soccer to horseback riding to swimming and more, you and your child make the choice!
How the program works:
- Determine which accredited camp your child wants to attend.
- Submit a completed National Multiple Sclerosis Society-Wisconsin Chapter Application to the Wisconsin Chapter.
- All applications will be reviewed. If approved, a check will be made payable and mailed directly to the designated camp along with your camp application. (You are responsible for submitting any additional required forms to the camp.)
- The Chapter cannot reimburse you for payments already made to the camp.
A limited number of scholarships are available and are evaluated on an ongoing basis pending available funding.
Criteria to participate:
- Children must be between the ages of 8-14* and either have multiple sclerosis or have a parent or guardian who has been diagnosed.
- Camp duration is limited to one week maximum.
- One week-long day camp or overnight camp is acceptable. (May not be used for multiple one-day camps.)
- Camp scholarships are available only for camps in Wisconsin.
- Camp must be accredited.
- Parent/guardian is responsible for transportation.
- Complete a National Multiple Sclerosis Society-Wisconsin Chapter Application and a copy of application to the camp the child wishes to attend must be submitted to Wisconsin Chapter.
Currently scholarships are estimated to range from $300-500, but not to exceed $800.
The availability and selection of any accredited camp is available to all parents. The right to select the accredited camp of choice rests with the parent. Any liability resulting from that choice will be maintained by the legal parent of the child(ren).
The Wisconsin Chapter is also partnering with the Upper Midwest Chapter for its MS Youth Camp at Camp Icaghowan (near Amery, Wisconsin), a week-long opportunity for young people who have a parent with MS, or who live in a household with a person who has MS, to share a summer adventure, build friendships and have fun together. Different age restrictions apply.
Contact Meghan Schnabl (firstname.lastname@example.org, 262-369-4420) for more information.
*Exception is Camp Icaghowan.