The Corporate Star Program was originally designed to give major national recognition to corporations that had been major supporters of National MS Society, through corporate sponsorship, in-kind sponsorship or a major team presence. The program has now been expanded to include Corporate Stars with local recognition, and has been given specific parameters to define a Corporate Star with national recognition.
Current Corporate Stars
- Ongoing discussions and relations are occurring with all current Corporate Stars. Some relationships are stronger than others. The “original” Corporate Stars are now “grandfathered” in to the program. Diligent work will continue to occur with each of our current Stars to ensure that they will contribute to MS Society in a way that will benefit as many chapters as possible.
- Many chapters wonder, “If company X is a Corporate Star with national recognition, why don’t they work with us in our local market?” This is a very valid question, and the short answer is that it may not be possible. The ultimate goal is for every Corporate Star to contribute in every part of the country or to work towards that end until it is clear that they have achieved as much as possible.
Potential Corporate Stars
Here are specific parameters for new Corporate Stars:
- Companies earn the right to be a Corporate Star based on what they have achieved in the past AND the potential for what they can achieve in the future.
- Any potential Corporate Star should have a very close working relationship with a specific chapter or a strong national relationship, and should have one or more staff members, preferably high ranking or with the ear of high ranking staffers, who are committed to the cause in a meaningful way.
- A company becomes a Corporate Star based on the metrics stated below, in conjunction with the Corporate Relations team at the home office, the home office staff, the CEO, and the chapter most closely associated with that company. At an appropriate time after a company becomes a Corporate Star, a Relationship Management Team (RMT) may be formed for that Star, with the contact person from the chapter closest to that company generally serving as the chairperson of that RMT. (The RMT serves as a guiding committee to best determine strategic goals for that company)
- There will be a form on the Intranet for chapters to “nominate” a company they work closely with to become a Corporate Star.
- Corporate Stars are not required to participate in a specific amount of chapters; they only need to fulfill the Corporate Star metrics outlined below.
Corporate Star Metrics
- In order to be nationally recognized in the Corporate Star Program, a company will:
Impact the MS Society bottom line by a minimum of $500,000 annually OR a cumulative total of $5 million over the course of the relationship. The definition of “impacting the bottom line” can include cash, in-kind, teams, services and cause related sponsorships (yogurt lids, sneaker pin-ups, etc.).
- Chapters will determine their own metrics to recognize companies on a local level, and will emphasize the “stepping stone” concept towards national recognition.
Each Corporate Star should have an annual planning and “review” to outline potential partnership expansion possibilities.
Sampling of the benefits each Corporate Star will receive:
- Official induction into the Corporate Star program*
- Recognition in all major NMSS publications, website, and other official documents
- Company account executive assigned from Home Office staff who will work closely with each Star company
- Opportunities to network and communicate with all member companies of the program within various venues (including the Society’s annual National Conference)
- Annual public recognition at the National Conference as an official Corporate Star
- Each Star company will have the opportunity to advertise itself as an official Corporate Star as it sees fit.
*Each new Corporate Star with national recognition will be inducted into the program at the Corporate Lunch at the National Conference. There will be a formal process, from invitation to induction, which details how this will occur. This process will be standardized for all entering Corporate Stars.
The Corporate Star Program is a wonderful way for the Society to recognize, nurture and grow corporate relationships in a meaningful way. By accepting a company into the program, we are able to publicly express our appreciation to them, and to work with them on continuing to expand the partnership.