Disclosing to Your Human Resources Manager
Many people consider the Human Resources (HR) manager at their workplace to be the first point of contact for all employment-related issues. However, deciding when to disclose iinformation about your health condition or impairment to your HR manager may depend on several factors.
- You need to request an accommodation, some type of work modification, or time off because of your MS.
- HR managers are trained in the specifics of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and can help you seek accommodations.
- HR managers are trained to assist people with disclosure issues.
- HR managers are required by the ADA to keep all medical information confidential.
- You don’t need to make any special requests at this time.
- You have heard that your HR department isn’t all that knowledgeable about the ADA or supportive of people with special needs.