It’s never too early to begin planning financially for the future – evaluating your income, assets, debts, benefits, and other resources is essential to being well-prepared for a future with MS.
Financial Education Partners Program
Are you interested in financial planning and education? If yes, the Society’s partnership with the Financial Education Partners (FEP) program could be a valuable resource for you. The FEP program was established in 2006 by the Foundation for Financial Service Professionals to provide pro bono financial planning and education to individuals with special health or financial circumstances.
What might be addressed during a planning session?
- Basic budgeting and bill paying strategies
- Credit card management
- Savings vehicles … pros and cons of various instruments
- Insurance analysis, claims assistance
- Employee benefits analysis … retirement planning, medical plans, disability coverage and life insurance
- Retirement planning … analysis of adequacy and tax effectiveness
- Estate planning … strategies to maximize inheritances/minimize taxes
- Legal planning … wills, special needs trusts, living trusts, etc.
Participants in the FEP program can expect to receive reliable counseling around financial and insurance issues, provided by a trustworthy professional who adheres to the Society of Financial Service Professional’s Code of Professional Responsibility and has a strong commitment to continuing professional education.
For more information please contact an MS Navigator by calling 1-800-344-4867 or via email.
- Provides referrals to elder law attorneys
- Offers a wealth of information to consumers regarding elder law
- Provides referrals for Certified Elder Law Attorneys
- Provides referrals to certified consumer credit counselors
- Offers information & counseling to consumers regarding such topics as credit, home buying, bankruptcy, etc.
Adapting: Financial Planning for a Life with Multiple Sclerosis
A 72-page publication addressing financial organization, planning, insurance options, employment concerns, and benefit issues important to people with MS and their families. This financial planning guide provides information and strategies to help families plan wisely for the future and meet financial challenges that often accompany life with MS.
Download here or call 1-800-344-4867 to be mailed a free copy.
This financial planning guide is a collaborative project of the National Endowment for Financial Education, the National MS Society, and Paralyzed Veterans of America.