National MS Society Announces New Activism Advisory Committee
July 23, 2020
The National MS Society is proud to announce the 2020-2021 Activism Advisory Committee. The committee advises the Society on how to use public policy to change the lives of people affected by multiple sclerosis, identifies current and emerging issues that present advocacy opportunities at the state and federal levels, assess the importance of these opportunities in meeting the needs of people with MS, and provides advice in setting public policy priorities for the Society. The committee includes members of the Board of Trustees, National Board of Directors, MS Activists, community leaders, and Society staff.
The 2020-2021 committee welcomes abroad:
Jim Brasfield, Ph.D – Current Committee Chair
Bruce F. Bebo, Jr, PhD
Alexandra Bennewith, MPA
Mara Brough, MPA
Kim Calder, MPS
Tim Coetzee, PhD
Kathleen Costello, MS, ANP-BC, MSCN
Abby Carter Emanuelson
Angel Hardy Heinz – Incoming Committee Vice-Chair
Karen Mariner, MSS
Eugene May, MD
Sheldon Metz – Incoming Committee Chair
Seth Morgan, MD
Jennifer Orthmann Murphy, MD, PhD
Leslie Ritter, MA
Bari Talente, JD
Their responsibilities include:
- Inform the Society’s annual public policy priorities to be implemented at the state and federal Level, making certain that the issues are tied to the Society’s Strategic Plan.
- Review and research emerging issues identified by Government Relations and Healthcare Advisory Committees and other Society advisory committees.
- Provide leadership to and ensure the success of Government Relations Advisory Committees.
- Advise on strategy to most efficiently advance policy priorities.
- Inform specific positions on priority public policy issues, and provide guidance relating to controversial and/or complex issues.
- Research issues and participate in work groups to help develop policy positions as needed.
- Provide expertise in specific public and private policy areas, as needed.
The 2020-2021 committee is excited to announce that Sheldon Metz (MS Activist, Texas) and Angel Hardy Heinz (MS Activist, Illinois) will be inducted as Committee Chair and Committee Vice Chair during the October Activism Advisory Committee meeting. Please join us in welcoming Sheldon and Angel in their new roles.
Sheldon Metz - Incoming Chair
Angel Hardy Heinz - Incoming Vice Chair