Society evaluating Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine
March 1, 2021
The Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine has received emergency use authorization from the Federal Drug Administration (FDA). The National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s COVID-19 Vaccine Advisory Group is reviewing the vaccine’s clinical trial data and will provide guidance for its use for people with MS as soon as possible.
Read the advisory group’s guidance about the mRNA vaccines
. Check our COVID-19 webpage
for more information about COVID-19 and MS.
Who Is Reviewing
People living with MS are seeking peace of mind on the safety and effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccines. In response, the Society convened a group of expert researchers and medical professionals to review the available science and make fact-based recommendations.
MS neurologists and experts
Staff from MS Partner Organizations
- Nancy Sicotte, MD, FAAN—Chair, National MS Society’s National Medical Advisory Committee, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, USA
- Brenda Banwell, MD— Chair of MS International Federation International Medical and Scientific Advisory Board (IMSB) – University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Amit Bar-Or, MD, FRCPC—President, International Society for Neuroimmunology - University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Jorge Correale, MD-- Raul Carrea Institute for Neurological Research, FLENI, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Anne Cross, MD, FAAN—Washington University and Secretary of Board of Governors of the Consortium of MS Centers, USA
- Jaime Imitola, MD, FAAN—University of Connecticut, UConn Health, USA
- Dorlan Kimbrough, MD—Duke University, USA
- Avindra Nath, MD—National Institutes of Health/National Institutes of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, USA
- Scott Newsome, DO, MSCS, FAAN, FANA—Johns Hopkins University and President of the Board of Governors of the Consortium of MS Centers, USA
- Penny Smyth, MD, FRCPC—University of Alberta, Canada
- Rachael Stacom, MS, ANP-BC, MSCN—Independence Care System, USA
- Julie Fiol, RN, MSCN—National MS Society, USA
- Pamela Kanellis—MS Society of Canada
- Julie Kelndorfer—MS Society of Canada
- Hope Nearhood, MPH, PMP—National MS Society, USA
- Leslie Ritter—National MS Society, USA
The National MS Society, founded in 1946, funds cutting-edge research, drives change through advocacy, and provides programs and services to help people affected by MS live their best lives. Connect to learn more and get involved: nationalMSsociety.org, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube or 1-800-344-4867.