Update on Applications
Please note: As of September 9, 2022, our application window is closed due to a high volume of applicants. You can complete this online grant application to be added to a waiting list, should the program open up again. In the meantime, you can also speak to an MS Navigator to learn more about National MS Society funding for home modifications. To reach an MS Navigator, please call 800-344-4867.
Home modifications increase accessibility, improve safety and help people affected by MS maintain their independence. However, these modifications can be prohibitively expensive. To help with this cost, MS activists in North Carolina advanced legislation to provide financial assistance for home modifications. In 2021, the state legislature passed Senate Bill 105: 2021 Appropriations Act, Sec. 9J.2: Funds for National Multiple Sclerosis Society/Home Modification Program.
Grants of up to $7,500 per household are now available for some people living with MS in North Carolina. The North Carolina Home Modification Program can provide financial assistance to individuals in North Carolina with multiple sclerosis to help them establish an accessible home environment in order to maintain or increase their level of independence in the community. This grant program is open from July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023.
The National MS Society is distributing the grants. Learn if you qualify and how to apply below.
Who is eligible for the North Carolina Home Modification Grant Program?
Consider applying if you meet the following criteria:
- You reside in the state of North Carolina.
- The residence being modified must exist before the work begins. The work may not be completed during the residence’s initial construction.
- If you are renting, the landlord/homeowner must provide permission, in writing, showing agreement to the project.
- You must have a confirmed diagnosis of MS.
- Confirmation of diagnosis must be provided with application (or be on file from previous Society financial assistance).
- Your net income must be at or below 500% of the Federal Poverty Level.
- Visit NeedyMeds for the income guidelines for Federal Poverty levels. Please speak to an MS Navigator regarding your specific circumstances.
- Verification of income is required as part of the application.
- You can be a Society employee, board member or volunteer as long as all other eligibility criteria are met.
- You submit bids for suppliers/vendors to perform the work who can legally operate in North Carolina.
How can the money be used?
Grants may be used to cover home modifications that increase mobility and independence, including, but not limited to:
- Permanent ramps (compliant with ADA standards)
- Elevators or stair glides/stair lifts
- Widening of doors or hallways
- Roll-in shower, walk-in tub, permanently installed grab bars or other bathroom modifications
- Lowered countertops or other kitchen modifications
- Environmental upgrades, such as HVAC/central air conditioning installation or repair or portable/window units (to accommodate heat sensitivity)
- Accessible light switches, accessible outlets, accessible environmental controls
- Accessible driveway or patio/deck
To apply for a home modification grant
Please complete the online application below. Upon completion of your form, a National MS Society staff member or agent will contact you to confirm your application was received, and that you’ve been added to the waiting list.
If you have questions about the program, need help completing the online application or for more information about home modification financial assistance, reach out to an MS Navigator at 1-800-344-4867 or via the Contact Us form.
Apply for Grant