The National MS Society connection programs bring together people who share common life experiences for support, education and mutual aid.
Click here for the New Jersey Metro Chapter Connections Calendar
The New Jersey Metro Chapter sponsors 31 self-help groups in 14 counties. Members of self-help groups share a belief that positive personal change happens through individual efforts with the support of others. The benefits of self-help groups to their members include:
- Learning new information & strategies for confronting problems
- Finding reassurance and support from others with similar life experiences
- Developing personal insights and achieving personal growth
- The opportunity to be helpful to others
- Feeling less isolated
- Learning to express feelings better and to be more sensitive to the feelings of others
- Feeling empowered and more self-confident in coping with challenges
- Developing a connection to a community and personal identification with a social group
For additional information, contact the chapter at 800-344-4867 or email@example.com.
One-on-one peer connections
MS affects everyone differently - that’s why it is important to have someone you can count on to support you in the way that you need.
Through the Peer Connections program you can search for and connect with a peer support volunteer who has “been there” and can provide you with helpful tips, suggestions and emotional support for the challenges that MS throws at you. You can connect with your peer via one-on-one ongoing telephone or email conversations. Peer Connections volunteers have been through a rigorous screening and training process.
What are the benefits of a Peer Connections relationship?
- Pick your own peer from a list of trained peer support volunteers from many different walks of life, including family members of those living with MS.
- Connect with your peer via email or telephone.
- Have confidential conversations with the same person about the topics most relevant to your life.
Search for a peer by clicking here.
Peer Support Through MSFriends
MS knows no timetable – this is why we offer support when you want and need it. The MSFriends program connects you with volunteers living with MS. The common bond of living with MS creates a unique connection. MSFriends volunteers complete a rigorous screening and training program and are focused on the needs of those who call for support. Connect today by calling the MSFriends helpline at 1-866-673-7436.