People affected by MS can find themselves facing financial challenges due to changes in income, medical expenses and other circumstances. The resources in the Financial Assistance category include programs offering:
- Rent and mortgage assistance, utilities (heating/cooling/electricity/gas) assistance
- Home modifications and assistive technology financial assistance, grants or loans for accessibility
- Assistance for medications including disease-modifying therapies and MS symptom treatments
However, many of the resources provide financial assistance and community-based services for other needs as well, e.g., counseling, or access to food and meal resources.
Questions and considerations when connecting to financial assistance resources:
- What specific goods or services does the financial assistance resource provide?
- Does the organization have guidelines, e.g., income requirements, for who they serve?
- What is the process and timeline for securing assistance?
- If a resource cannot provide assistance, can they refer you elsewhere?
- For medications, assistive technology and home modifications, do your health insurance or veteran’s benefits assist with this need?
- Program funding varies over time for many agencies, so if a resource is out of funding it’s important to ask how often that funding is renewed
Find Financial Assistance Resources
Now that you’ve reviewed the guide, we encourage you to conduct a search for resources in your area by using the Find Doctors & Resources tool. Select the “Financial Assistance” category and then the support subtype depending upon your need.
The Society also offers financial assistance for needs related to MS, to provide solutions where resources may be lacking. If you feel you could benefit from this assistance, please reach out via email ContactUsNMSS@nmss.org or phone (1-800-344-4867) for a more comprehensive discussion and assessment about your needs, available resources and potential financial assistance from the Society.