Welcome to the Peer Connections Volunteers resource page – we’re glad you’re here! Our Peer Connections Volunteers are trained individuals who focus on the needs of people affected by MS needing support. This page is designed to support you in your role(s) as a Peer Connections Volunteer by providing relevant information and resources to prepare and ensure continued success in working with individuals in the MS community.
This page provides links to general MS information, Society services and support, and the resources specific to your volunteer role. Additionally, you’ll find best practices and tips for successfully hosting a self-help group, handling difficult conversations, and resources to share with participants for additional emotional support.
If you have any questions about the content below, please reach out to your staff partner or the Peer Connections Resource Team at PeerConnections@nmss.org
. We’re thankful to each of you for volunteering your time and passion!
How Can I Become a Peer Connections Volunteer?
- Self-help Group Leader – these volunteers are trained to lead virtual and/or in-person groups to facilitate emotional and social connections to others in the MS community.
- MSFriends – these volunteers provide confidential one-to-one conversations via a helpline or a virtual pairing with a participant to meet at a pre-determined time for ongoing communication.
- Social Media Moderator – these volunteers help ensure content on Society’s group/community social media pages is appropriate and provide resources and timely responses to individuals seeking support.
If you’re interested in becoming a Peer Connections Volunteer, review the job description links above and email PeerConnections@nmss.org
for more information and next steps.
Recorded All Society Leader Calls
Support Volunteers Drop-in Calls:
- March 18, 2021 (Edward Dowd Personal Advocate Program [Case Management]): Recording and Slides
- March 4, 2021 (Public Policy Conference and MS Awareness Week): Recording and Slides
- February 18, 2021 (Doctors and Resources Guides Survey Results and Walk MS 2021): Recording and Slides
- February 4, 2021 (Peer Connections Volunteer Website Review): Recording and Slides
- January 21, 2021 (COVID-19 Vaccine Update): Recording and Slides
- January 7, 2021 (Find Doctors and Resources Update): Recording and Slides
View older recordings and slides on our archive page