We are here to help you manage multiple sclerosis in a world with COVID-19. Below you’ll find physical and mental health resources to help you get the care you need as the pandemic continues.
Guidance on COVID-19 and MS
Between the uncertainty of MS and the day-to-day changes brought on by COVID-19, you probably have questions about how to best maintain your physical health during this time. Working with experts, we have compiled the following information and guidance:
We do encourage you to get vaccinated as soon as possible. Vaccination against COVID-19 is critical for your safety, for public safety and, especially, for the safety of the most vulnerable among us. The risks of COVID-19 far outweigh any potential risks from the vaccines, but there may be special considerations for those living with MS. Consult your MS healthcare provider for more information.
Healthcare providers and telehealth advice
These resources will help you locate providers for in-person or virtual visits and have productive telehealth appointments:
- COVID.gov: Visit this one-stop shop website and find where to access lifesaving tools like vaccines, tests, treatments, and masks, as well as get the latest updates on COVID-19 in your area.
- Find Doctors and Resources: Our online tool to connect you with healthcare providers in your area.
- Telehealth.HHS.gov: Read about telehealth and get assistance finding providers from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthcare services may be low-cost or free.
- Tips for Successful Telemedicine Appointments: Review our advice on managing virtual appointments before you check in.
- Survivor Corps: Get support from Post-COVID Care Centers and learn about COVID-19 treatments.
- Medicare and Telehealth: Learn more about telehealth and what’s covered by Medicare.
The COVID-19 pandemic has created a greater need for mental health support, but, fortunately, it has also resulted in increased access to providers and communities of support. Find a therapist or a virtual support group, tune in to podcasts and webinars or review our tips for maintaining emotional well-being:
Virtual support groups and communities
- The Mighty: Multiple Sclerosis Connections: We’ve partnered with The Mighty to create a safe space for people to share their MS experiences, discover resources and provide support to others.
- MS Discord: This volunteer-led community offers accessible peer and group support for all stages of MS and separate support channels for family of people living with MS through the online platform Discord.
- The National MS Society Facebook Community: In this group, people affected by MS share, comment and connect with other group members while also learning about health and wellness, symptom management and other MS-specific topics.
- Local MS Support Groups: Many of our regular support groups became virtual during the pandemic. Search your area to see what options are available.
- Happy the App: Happy is a 24/7 phone-based emotional support service. (Every caller who reaches Happy through the Society will receive their first call free.)
- Find Doctors and Resources: To find mental health professionals, use our tool and select the category “Emotional Support” then select the support type “Mental Health Professionals.”